Really stupid...

If an idea is good, it's on the verge of being stupid. ~ Michel Gondry

I have always had this theory… get a group of people in a room, throw out a bunch of ideas and at the end of the night, look at your list to find the most idiotic and that's the one you should do.

This blog was spawned from one very stupid idea - run the Leadville 100. I gave that a shot in the summer of '07 - completed 73 miles - and survived. The blog lives on...

RunStuRun has moved to http://www.runsturun.com

Saturday, August 25, 2007

This time last week...

The moments of the past do not remain still; they retain in our memory the motion which drew them towards the future, towards a future which has itself become the past, and draw us on in their train. ~ Marcel Proust

Yesterday: Swim - Gilpin County Community Center, 30 minutes
Today: Walk
Tomorrow: Ride or swim

This time last week, I was tromping through Aspen groves somewhere between Half Moon and Twin Lakes. If memory serves, I was trying to time my arrival in Twin Lakes to be somewhere around 12:15 (race report says 12:21, sweet!) and I was starting to experience some strange goings on in the physical realm. I remember that my skin had become sore to the touch, my nerves would fire if shaken or tapped (not unlike hitting your funny bone but requiring far less trauma to initiate) and blisters on my right foot had begun to create enough problems that I was unconsciously adjusting my gate to the point that I was over-pronating. This would be the first step to my overall downfall at Leadville.

Despite all of these problems, I was somehow calm and relatively collected as I alternated running with walking on the beautiful singletrack just north of Twin Lakes. I felt at peace. I had a task on which to focus and I kept moving - steadily making my way to mile 40 and beyond. As I approached uncharted territory (+8 hours and +35 miles), I felt a certain satisfaction in that which I had achieved and knew I had more in me. Many of you have heard me talk about the Horrible/Wonderful. I was certainly in it 7 days ago. And you know what? I loved it.

It is interesting how different parts of me hurt on different days. I must admit, I actually feel remarkably well considering what I put my body through last week. I wasn't nearly as sore as I thought and expected fairly extreme localized pain coupled with more general soreness. Frankly, I was more sore on a general level after several training runs. I am not sure if this is a good sign or a bad sign. Either it means I didn't push hard enough, or I conditioned and trained my body to accept the beating and therefore, I didn't suffer as much after the fact. I'll go with the latter.

My feet definitely took the brunt of it. I still expect to lose a couple of toenails (they are going through some interesting color-shifts currently) and the outside of my right foot is still giving me troubles. Yesterday, my right shin was the worst of it but today things seem to have settled back down in my foot and the toes of my right foot. Good times. It is just interesting to watch and feel how I am healing up.

Yesterday was spent getting paperwork organized and work completed for the new business. Luke and I have started Forty105, a consulting/design/development firm specializing in internet/electronic marketing solutions. At least that's what our letterhead says. Exciting times, to be sure. Currently, it seems that everyone wants their job completed by October 1. So September is going to be a bit hectic. I was able to make it over to the Rec Center to swim for a bit. As a kid, I used to swim all the time but haven't been in a pool in a non-recreational way since about '95. Needless to say, I am a bit out of practice. I really don't enjoy pool swimming. I have problems with the chemicals - but it is a great workout. I had forgotten how difficult it is. Especially when you tend to sink.

So today I am hoping to go see Superbad. Gotta rally here and see if we can go catch out George Michael in that goodness. Also have some errands to run and other general stuff to take care of. Today is as good as any for that type of stuff.

Hope everyone is having a fun, relaxing weekend.

~stubert.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails