Really stupid...

If an idea is good, it's on the verge of being stupid. ~ Michel Gondry

I have always had this theory… get a group of people in a room, throw out a bunch of ideas and at the end of the night, look at your list to find the most idiotic and that's the one you should do.

This blog was spawned from one very stupid idea - run the Leadville 100. I gave that a shot in the summer of '07 - completed 73 miles - and survived. The blog lives on...

RunStuRun has moved to http://www.runsturun.com

Sunday, June 10, 2007

Suffer-fest...

Tell your heart that the fear of suffering is worse than the suffering itself. And no heart has ever suffered when it goes in search of its dream. ~ Paulo Coehlo

Yesterday: Run - Local Rollinsville trails, 4 hours
Today: Ride or hike - Casa del Critters, ~ 1 hour
Tomorrow: Off

Yesterday's run was interesting. I felt pretty dreadful for most of the run with short bursts of time that felt decent. Not sure what was going on but I was having real problems getting into a groove. All day my legs felt heavy and clumsy. I think that some of this could be attributed to the high pollen count and the fact that I am experiencing some allergy-type reactions to the current state of the ecosystem. It could also be that I have just reached a bit of a plateau and need to fight through it. Or both! Good times.

I headed out with the intention of repeating my long run of a few weeks ago that took me to Nederland but shifted gears a bit to run more in the forest and explore some new trails. I did find a new singletrack just by chance off of North Beaver road. I was bushwhacking in the direction of Magnolia road when I stumbled across an old mining road that then turned into some decent singletrack. Not knowing the real name, I have dubbed this section "Smitty" and hope to explore it more on later ventures out.

This trail dumped out to an offshoot of Mag which I followed West to the Habitrail and then back to Rollinsville and home. I then took full advantage of our creek with a good soak. I need to figure out how to make it deeper, however. I think skinnier will be the trick to achieve a level of flow that fully covers my legs.

I believe that I am feeling the benefits of that soak today as my legs are only a little sore and don't feel too tired. I will probably go for a short ride or hike later but just got word from Pete that he was thinking of going for a run. I might be into that as well.

Movie time: Yesterday and the day before we watched the 1940 and 1944 versions of the classic film, Gaslight. I must say that the '44 version is vastly superior in every way. It is a little dated but features a fairly sophisticated plot (especially for the time it was created), solid writing and fine acting. Skip the '40 version, however. It is actually pretty bad.

Enjoy.

~stubert

Edit: Stories like this make running Leadville seem plausible. Now to channel my inner monk.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails