Really stupid...

If an idea is good, it's on the verge of being stupid. ~ Michel Gondry

I have always had this theory… get a group of people in a room, throw out a bunch of ideas and at the end of the night, look at your list to find the most idiotic and that's the one you should do.

This blog was spawned from one very stupid idea - run the Leadville 100. I gave that a shot in the summer of '07 - completed 73 miles - and survived. The blog lives on...

RunStuRun has moved to http://www.runsturun.com

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Delayed Dad's Day...


Better late than never. ~ Titus Livius


Tuesday: Golf - Vista Ridge, 5 hours ~275 shots
Yesterday: Habitat for Humanity, Denver, 5.5 hours
Today: Run, Ned area, ~2 hours
Tomorrow: Bike ride, Casa del Critters, ~1 hour

Okay... Clearly I have not done such a red hot job of keeping you guys updated this week. For that, I apologize.

My first week out of the 9-5 world has been quite hectic thus far. I have been swamped with freelance projects plus signed on for volunteer work with Habitat for Humanity and had a previously scheduled day with my dad. Good times!

Tuesday was my belated Dad's Day celebration and my pops came over from Gunnison to spend the day goofing around Denver with me. First, we played a round of golf at Vista Ridge. Fun course. I still suck but had a great time. There were geese all over the course with little ones learning to fly. We also saw a big bullfrog who treated us to some serious croaking and some sort of stork or something. Not sure what he was. I think Dad shot in the high 80s and I rocked about a 215 or something. I stopped counting. The greens were really tough to figure out and the rough was, well... rough. Fun course though.

Later that night, we tried to get Dad checked into the La Quinta for which he had a reservation but apparently that was lost so we had to change plans and moved him to the Best Western. Dad is a huge Yankees fan so I got us tickets to go see the Bombers play the Rockies. (I forgot my camera, so no shots from there.) I normally am not a baseball going type of fella but had a great time at the game with Dad. The guy next to us was an uber baseball dork and was keeping score, calling his buddies with updates non-stop, and twitching all over the place in nervousness for his Yankees. Funny stuff. The game was a good one, relatively close and not a marathon session. Apparently you can't get anything at the game that hasn't been soaked, dipped, doused, rubbed, glazed or pickled in salt so be forewarned. I think I may have consumed a decade's RDA of the stuff. Good lemonade, though.

I got home around midnight and was up the next morning to get some freelance stuff completed prior to heading out to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity. This was the first day volunteers were on site and we had a bunch of prep-work to do in the crawl space. The foundation had been contracted out so that was all in place. Man it was hot. I am not a big fan of warm weather as you may know and it was about 97 in Denver yesterday. First, we leveled the crawl space floor and then spread pea gravel over the surface, pitched that down to a sump pump and then affixed a vapor barrier. By that point, we were virtually finished and were waiting for a load of lumber to arrive so that we could get to work on the floor joists. After hanging out for awhile with no lumber in sight, the foreman cut everyone loose early. I got home about 3:30 and started working on a couple of projects that I need to finish up by next week.

View the full album.

Today, thus far, has been spent working. I am going to go for a run with Luke here in a bit (I hope) and plan to spend the rest of the evening just relaxing with Rach. Tomorrow, I need to work most of the day and will try to get out early for a ride or a run.

I forgot to tell you more about the Spring Fling at the Colorado House Rabbit Society. So everyone brought their bunnies and Rach judged a contest. Some of the categories were: Looks most like their owner, Oddest couple, Funniest, Most relaxed, etc. It was fun to see the kids get all fired up when they won a prize. There were a couple of bunnies selling kisses (yeah) and a silent auction to raise money for the shelter. The turnout was amazing and we actually had to park across the street because all the spots were taken. Rach won the grand prize to sponsor an outdoor bunny run. I think she is going to do that in Rockshot's honor.

That's it for now. Gotta hit the trails.

~stubert

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails