Really stupid...

If an idea is good, it's on the verge of being stupid. ~ Michel Gondry

I have always had this theory… get a group of people in a room, throw out a bunch of ideas and at the end of the night, look at your list to find the most idiotic and that's the one you should do.

This blog was spawned from one very stupid idea - run the Leadville 100. I gave that a shot in the summer of '07 - completed 73 miles - and survived. The blog lives on...

RunStuRun has moved to http://www.runsturun.com

Thursday, May 17, 2007

Take two...

It doesn't matter if you try and try and try again, and fail. It does matter if you try and fail, and fail to try again. ~ Charles Kettering

Today we'll shoot for Cirque de Boulder (modified) vs. Luke and Stu round two. The first shot at this run ended earlier than planned. This time, we are cutting out about 7 miles of pavement (the first 7 miles as shown on the map above) and the weather is supposed to be significantly better so I am optimistic about our chances for success.

We'll start shortly after 4 at the Kelso trailhead and run counter-clockwise on trails around Boulder, finishing at the Bobolink trailhead about 23 miles later. This will eliminate almost all running on pavement and should improve our chances.

Yesterday, I tried to find my max heartrate by doing hill repeats. I am not sure if I got there or not but I did see 190 which, for now at least, will be considered my upper limit. This makes me feel pretty good about running around in the mid 140s as my target for long runs. I actually think I can do that. My resting rate was 44 the other day, which is pretty low for me. A good measure of fitness so I am pleased.

I am heading to Gunnison tomorrow to spend some time with my parents. I'll probably go for an early morning run on Saturday but plan to take tomorrow off and maybe play a round of golf. I will be back in town Sunday and will likely try to do a run and a hike depending upon how the legs are feeling after tonight's effort.

I have come to the conclusion that I need to do at least one all-night run prior to Leadville. I'll be looking to start around 10pm or midnight and run until dawn. I think this will be important training for my overall success in the event. I am currently working out the details and will keep you posted.

Incidentally, if you think I'm crazy, I just read that some guy is going to spin laps on Sanitas all day today. He started at 7:00 this morning and plans to finish his 15th lap around midnight. We run through there on our route so hopefully, we'll hook up with him for the brief descent of the main valley trail. Good stuff.

Ping me if you want to join in the fun and/or games this evening.

~stubert

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails