Really stupid...

If an idea is good, it's on the verge of being stupid. ~ Michel Gondry

I have always had this theory… get a group of people in a room, throw out a bunch of ideas and at the end of the night, look at your list to find the most idiotic and that's the one you should do.

This blog was spawned from one very stupid idea - run the Leadville 100. I gave that a shot in the summer of '07 - completed 73 miles - and survived. The blog lives on...

RunStuRun has moved to http://www.runsturun.com

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Squirm...

To congratulate oneself on one's warm commitment to the environment, or to peace, or to the oppressed, and think no more is a profound moral fault. ~ Robert Conquest

Ever wonder how you can make a difference in this world? I sometimes get overwhelmed with the thought of making a significant impact on the human race and go back to my standard ways of doing things. Well today I would like to recommend that we all go out and try to make a small difference. Sacrifice something small that would otherwise tax the environment. Help someone out you would normally just pass in the street. Plant a tree. Refuse both paper AND plastic. Did you know that scientists estimate that it requires 1000 years for a plastic grocery bag to biodegrade and there are something like 50 million distributed yearly. That is just gross. San Fransisco may actually ban plastic grocery bags for larger stores. Go San Fran! Buy re-usable bags here. </soapbox>

So today I got Shirlified again. Shirley Plaatjes is a massage therapist here in Boulder who is not afraid to whale on a person. After this weekend's madness, I needed/feared the session. I thought I was going to squirm off the table when she went to town on my hamstrings but afterwards, I always feel much better. Today was not exception.

Yesterday, I just chilled out at home and did a bunch of freelance work that needed my attention. No activities were planned and none were accomplished. A good, solid rest day for once. Today I plan to get out on the bike for a bit after work. Let me know if you would like to join me in the fun and/or games.

And now, a product review: I love these socks. Seriously, they are tall, comfy and since starting to wear them exclusively, I haven't gotten a single blister. I'm tellin' ya... the Wrightsock is the bomb. I just picked up 8 more pair so that I have enough for every aid station at Leadville if I am feeling the need. Great stuff.

Movies: Last night, we watched Factotum which was okay, I suppose. Based on several Bukowski stories, it starred Matt Dillon and Lili Taylor who both did an admirable job of portraying pathetic drunks. So not a particularly uplifting film nor one that made me too interested in slugging down copious amounts of booze anytime soon. I wouldn't necessarily avoid it but I wouldn't encourage you to rush out and rent it either.

Enjoy the day, this is the last May 30, 2007 ever. Might as well make something of it.

~stubert

1 comment:

Luke said...

today, I rode my bike to work, re-used my coffee cup, accepted no paper or plastic bags, and ate leftovers for lunch. Good for me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails