Really stupid...

If an idea is good, it's on the verge of being stupid. ~ Michel Gondry

I have always had this theory… get a group of people in a room, throw out a bunch of ideas and at the end of the night, look at your list to find the most idiotic and that's the one you should do.

This blog was spawned from one very stupid idea - run the Leadville 100. I gave that a shot in the summer of '07 - completed 73 miles - and survived. The blog lives on...

RunStuRun has moved to http://www.runsturun.com

Monday, May 21, 2007

Mud not blood...


My name is Mud, but call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie thats long for Mud so Ive been told. ~ Primus

I love the forest after a good rain. Everything sparkles. The silence is broken by birds coming out of their hiding spots, water gurgling down mid-summer-dry streams and the rush of the wind past my ears.

Yesterday, my riding plans were temporarily thwarted by an early-afternoon thunderstorm that brought with it a steady flow of rain to the South Beaver Creek area. As soon as the weather broke, I grabbed my neglected Dual Sus and hit the trails. I had forgotten how much fun the Tracer is. Man, what a ride. Smooth as butter. I purchased a RockShox Recon for this guy late last year and have only had the opportunity to ride it a couple of times. Brad steered me in the right direction on this one. I highly recommend this fork.

So I finally got up into my old stomping grounds in the Roosevelt National Forest near our house. The trails are pretty much clear at this point with some massive drifts still dotting the North-facing slopes from time to time. Totally passable, however. It is interesting how different riding the Dual Sus is as opposed to the Singlespeed. I definitely think that the S2 has helped my "regular" riding. My legs felt great throughout the ride and the little tricks one learns on the Singlespeed come in handy on the standard ride (e.g., conservation of momentum). Good stuff.

The Flume was mostly clear and a bit slippery but that actually can help matters. It is a fairly rocky descent (mostly) that brings you down to a mining claim near the Peak to Peak. The creek here was roaring and the sound of rushing water easily drowned out any road noise. I jammed back up the P2P to my house in a little under 90-minutes. Everything felt great except the lingering ankle issues. I hope to get into the doctor for a peek at that later this week.

Today I am doing the commute on the S2. Took the bus in from Ned and will play back up by ear. I'll probably end up taking the bus back home as well but may get adventurous and try to ride up Mag or Sugarloaf.

See you out there.

~stubert

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails