Really stupid...

If an idea is good, it's on the verge of being stupid. ~ Michel Gondry

I have always had this theory… get a group of people in a room, throw out a bunch of ideas and at the end of the night, look at your list to find the most idiotic and that's the one you should do.

This blog was spawned from one very stupid idea - run the Leadville 100. I gave that a shot in the summer of '07 - completed 73 miles - and survived. The blog lives on...

RunStuRun has moved to http://www.runsturun.com

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Seriously messed up...

Today, Caleb and I were going to meet at Eldora to make some turns. It has been really warm up here the last couple of days so we weren't really expecting anything good but we were pretty psyched to get in a few hours of fun and/or games on the recently opened Westwall area.

I was actually on time for once and was about 3 miles south of Nederland when I came across a road closure. Bummer. I assumed that a tree had blown down across the Peak to Peak or something so I headed down to CR97 then up to Magnolia to try to circumvent the closure. Upon getting back on the P2P, I was quickly diverted again. Plus traffic was being allowed to move back on the P2P to the south, the very section I was not allowed to travel. Something was amiss...

So I made my way through Big Springs to Ned and then was turned around at the turn-off to Eldora. Apparently there had been some sort of incident and the area was to be closed for the day. Wondering what was going on, I headed back into Ned to see if I could find Caleb and when that was unsuccessful, bought some groceries and started asking about what was going on.

The details are coming in bit by bit but apparently an employee entered the Pump House at the ski area base, made some threatening proclamations, fatally shot the General Manager, Brian Mahon, then fled. He was pulled over about a mile south of Ned at which point he opened fire on the officer who returned fire. There may have been a second officer involved as well but the suspect was killed. [edit - Reports state now there was only one officer involved in the shooting.] What a total drag.

Rach got a message from Caleb where he mentioned the shooting so needless to say, she was a bit concerned. Cell coverage is crap up here too so there was no way for me to let her know I was okay. I have been following the story pretty closely but details are still a little sketchy. What a horrible way to end the year. My heart goes out to all those touched by this tragedy.

Read the full story.

~stubert.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails