Really stupid...

If an idea is good, it's on the verge of being stupid. ~ Michel Gondry

I have always had this theory… get a group of people in a room, throw out a bunch of ideas and at the end of the night, look at your list to find the most idiotic and that's the one you should do.

This blog was spawned from one very stupid idea - run the Leadville 100. I gave that a shot in the summer of '07 - completed 73 miles - and survived. The blog lives on...

RunStuRun has moved to http://www.runsturun.com

Thursday, September 6, 2007

See Stu run...

I did it like this. I did it like that. ~ Beastie Boys

Yesterday: Drive, Work, Repeat
Today: Run - Zoo Loop, 1 hour 45 minutes
Tomorrow: Drive, Golf

So three weeks out and I couldn't take it anymore. Had to go for a serious run to test the machine. It is still weary but doing pretty well.

I drove up to the Park and ran down Raccoon Trail then up to Elk. Really a gorgeous day: Sunny, a little wind, cool. Great weather for a run. Once I got up to Elk, I headed down valley through the conifers up top and then gradually turning into stands of aspen and open meadows. The last time I was up here, the wildflowers were going nuts. Today saw hints of autumn creeping into the flora. One thing I have really enjoyed over the course of the past year is being able to visit the same territory during the various seasons. Really neat to be able to run through fall colors, winter snow, spring green, summer flowers and eventual baked terrain and back again to fall.

Once I reached the valley floor and passed the old homestead, I stopped to stretch and take a few shots. I then headed over the ridge to Mule Deer Trail where I began to climb up the back side of the ridge separating Gap Road and Golden Gate Canyon. I was able to run most of this and only walked the steepest sections. I was really feeling okay. Not super, a bit tired, but decent. I focused on my form and on keeping steady upward progress. Not too shabby for the first run post-race.

I quickly made it to the top of the ridge where I stretched again, removed some boulders from my shoe and ran on through the aspens up to the second homestead on this loop. There used to be a lot of bootlegging in this area during Prohibition and several sites still exist where enterprising outlaws made hooch for delivery to Golden, Denver and the mining towns of Central City and Blackhawk. On Coyote Trail, there is even an old car that was left to rust from that era. Pretty cool.

After about an hour, things started to hurt a little bit but I carried on, ignoring the aches and pains that still remind me of the Leadville effort. Nothing serious, just some creaky joints and still-tender toes. My right knee gave me a little grief as I made my way along Mule Deer back toward Gap Road but I was able to push more than in a long time on the downhills which was fun. Now that the race is over, I need to focus my attention on getting into skiing shape and there is nothing better than downhill trail running to get the spring back in your legs.

Running along the last mile, I came across a large group of schoolkids being chaperoned by several adults. I am guessing they were all in kindergarten or first grade but I am a lousy judge of ages so who knows. There were about a zillion of them and they were everywhere. It was horrible. Actually, it was pretty cute. Several were carrying packs in which it appeared they themselves could have fit and several were talking non-stop in an effort to show how much they knew about the area. Basically, they kept saying the same thing over and over, torturing their poor guide.

I finished up fairly strong and overall felt like I wasn't damaging myself further by getting out there. Hoping to do something with Luke later this weekend.

Tomorrow, I am heading to Gunnison to visit the parental units. It has been quite awhile since I have made it over that way and it will be good to see them. Hoping to get in a round of golf with my pops and help out around the house with winterizing stuff and whatnot.

Ok, back to work. Hope everyone has a great weekend.

~stubert.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails