Really stupid...

If an idea is good, it's on the verge of being stupid. ~ Michel Gondry

I have always had this theory… get a group of people in a room, throw out a bunch of ideas and at the end of the night, look at your list to find the most idiotic and that's the one you should do.

This blog was spawned from one very stupid idea - run the Leadville 100. I gave that a shot in the summer of '07 - completed 73 miles - and survived. The blog lives on...

RunStuRun has moved to http://www.runsturun.com

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Ta daaaaa...

The first fall of snow is not just an event, it is a magical event. ~ J.B. Priestley

Snow! Not at my house but damned close. I thought we had a good shot at getting some here but it didn't happen (since we have lived up in the hills, the only month during which it hasn't snowed once at our place is August).

I decided to head down to the rec center to run on the treadmill and swim. This, apparently, was enough to get the clouds to lift and the sun to come out. So had I waited an hour or so, I could have had a pleasant run outside. In any event, I got in a good treadmill run, felt great, sunk swam for a bit and was treated to spectacular views of the snowcapped peaks near our house upon finishing up. Good times!

So for my run I did 1 mile warm-up at a 10-minute pace, then another mile at a 4-hour marathon pace (9-minute miles) then 2 miles at a 3:30 marathon pace (7:57-minute miles) then stepped it up for the last hard mile at a 3-hour marathon pace. Then I warmed down for a mile back at 10-minute pace. Interestingly, I was able to keep my heartrate in the 140s at the 4-hour pace and it only jumped up a little at the 3:30. Forget about the 3-hour mark. I would have a lot of work to do to be able to sustain that pace for more than a few miles. And keep in mind this is all on a treadmill, which doesn't really count.

Then I swam for about 15 minutes. Which was plenty. I am less than efficient in the pool.

So send your thoughts out to the poor bastards doing the Leadville 100 today. I am guessing it is pretty ugly up there.

~stubert.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails