Really stupid...

If an idea is good, it's on the verge of being stupid. ~ Michel Gondry

I have always had this theory… get a group of people in a room, throw out a bunch of ideas and at the end of the night, look at your list to find the most idiotic and that's the one you should do.

This blog was spawned from one very stupid idea - run the Leadville 100. I gave that a shot in the summer of '07 - completed 73 miles - and survived. The blog lives on...

RunStuRun has moved to http://www.runsturun.com

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Flow like water...

Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us. We are not the only experiment. ~ R. Buckminster Fuller

Thunder rumbled in the distance as I pulled on my Sauconys for a slow 13-mile run. I headed southeast, down the Beav, cautiously eyeing the dark bank of clouds building ominously to the north. My steps were punctuated by intermittent claps of thunder and I quickly adjusted my plans to stay closer to home, and in the confines of the forest. My 13-mile road run was abandoned for the trails and easier access to a rapid escape route.

I headed uphill, running strongly and timing my breathing with my cadence. My goal was not a fast pace or even splits but to keep my legs turning over as if driven by a metronome. Tick, tick, tick. The miles slipped by and I soon gained access to the woods along a hidden single track.

This trail, fast but technical, led me downhill through Aspen groves, whispering encouragement as I focused on staying fluid while negotiating tight, rocky sections. The old mining trail is punctuated by large, flat stones placed into a pseudo-flagstone path. Navigating these at speed can be a challenge and as rain began to fall, the task required even more attention.

Thunder built in intensity along with the rain but actual lightning strikes seemed few and far between and when timed, were miles away. I reached the lowest elevation of the day's adventure and headed up the steepest sections in an increasingly soggy state. Rain turned to sleet as I ran through a section dubbed "Funky Boss" then quickly to rain again as I passed "The Flume". I sped along in the steady patter of raindrops and quickly reached the summit and the "Tupperware" trail. This new section of singletrack drops quickly downhill to a more frequented artery in this part of Roosevelt National Forest.

Temperatures dropped to the point where a jacket seemed prudent so I donned my Marmot shell and ran back uphill toward today's second summit. Though soaked, the light cover provided the comfort required and I was quickly able to stow it back in my belt and run on, feeling strong and fit. As the clouds lifted and rain turned to a light drizzle I headed back downhill, towards home.

Geek link.

~stubert.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails