Really stupid...

If an idea is good, it's on the verge of being stupid. ~ Michel Gondry

I have always had this theory… get a group of people in a room, throw out a bunch of ideas and at the end of the night, look at your list to find the most idiotic and that's the one you should do.

This blog was spawned from one very stupid idea - run the Leadville 100. I gave that a shot in the summer of '07 - completed 73 miles - and survived. The blog lives on...

RunStuRun has moved to http://www.runsturun.com

Saturday, August 16, 2008

One year (give or take)...

I have incredible amounts of hope that things can change. It takes people who believe. ~ Morgan Spurlock

I can lead off with the simple statement, "I am really, REALLY glad I am not racing the Leadville 100 this year." Crap weather has settled into the state this year and it is like Portland in December out there right now. Only colder.

The race started today at 4:00 and I am guessing the leaders are about at Fish Hatchery now. The forecast is for highs in the low 50s with rain mixed with snow and lows in the low 30s. Not stellar conditions for a long run. Call me a wuss but, well... I am not quite sure how to finish that sentence.

My training has been usurped by work the past few days but I plan to get out there today regardless of the drizzle and low cloud ceiling. Our road is like some sort of sick sports bar event (slippery, wet, muddy and not warm at all) so I may head for the tarmac in Boulder or somewhere to get in some flat, fast and less dirty miles. We'll see how the day progresses. I still plan to launch John Shors' new site today. At least for private viewing.

So I have started working on preparation for the Las Vegas marathon and am still fine-tuning my training regimen. Shooting for faster pacing and more fluid form that I am hoping will translate into improved results in eventual ultras. This week I did a longer run on Monday with extended tempo, hill repeats on Tuesday (really a short session with 6 200-yard hills) and then a slow run at ~10-minute pace from the cycle shop in Rollinsville back to my place on Wednesday. I intended to do about 12 yesterday but that just didn't happen so I may shoot for a hard workout today then a longer run tomorrow to finish off the week.

I have been reading a great book that Caleb recommended called Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas. It is helping me figure out strategy, training ideas, how to keep from getting overtrained, and much more. Good stuff.

Incidentally, Pandora pretty much kicks ass. Check it out if you haven't already. Works on the iPhone too, which is super cool.

Have I mentioned that Rach makes the best granola ever?

If you haven't seen this blog, check it out. A woman in England is trying to go a month without using plastic. She hasn't succeeded but it is an interesting read and highlights ways in which we can be better, more conscious consumers. I was actually thinking that one could do a Morgan Spurlock sort of thing with plastic but someone beat me to it.

And I have to say that though I have tried to not pay too much attention to the Olympics due to China's appalling human rights and pollution records (yes, I know our's sucks too... I would have to boycott a US hosted Olympics too), the Michael Phelps story has been quite exciting to follow.

Have a good, soggy Saturday.

~stubert.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails