Really stupid...

If an idea is good, it's on the verge of being stupid. ~ Michel Gondry

I have always had this theory… get a group of people in a room, throw out a bunch of ideas and at the end of the night, look at your list to find the most idiotic and that's the one you should do.

This blog was spawned from one very stupid idea - run the Leadville 100. I gave that a shot in the summer of '07 - completed 73 miles - and survived. The blog lives on...

RunStuRun has moved to http://www.runsturun.com

Sunday, March 9, 2008

An even fifty...

Stepped out of the line, like a sheep runs from the herd ~ Green Day

Got back from Gunnison this evening after a 3-day visit. Went over to visit the parental units and get in a few days on the slopes. It was a decent trip, a little tiring, but good.

So I have skied the last 5 of 7 days. Hit Eldora on Monday and Thursday, rocked two days in the Butte Friday and Saturday, then popped over to Monarch on the way home today. Believe it or not, I actually feel pretty solid. Even after a lot of earners.

So the Butte was awesome, as usual. I met up with my cousin, David, which was super cool. I haven't gotten to spend much time with him so it was great to catch up. He is an oil/gas developer in Oklahoma but lived in Denver for most of his 20s and early 30s so he isn't afraid of the steep stuff. We didn't ski super hard but did get in a lot of skating and side-stepping up to the goods. Particularly the second day. I headed up to Teocalli Bowl and stomped a pretty big drop, which was really satisfying. Then I hiked all the way out to the fence on Third Bowl. There is some serious terrain out there. A must see for those able to tackle it. A lot of really great features and VERY steep pitches.

I spent the latter portion of both days doing the traditional "power hour" but in the bumps on the Twister lift trails. As I may have stated in the past, I am not a bump skier. I certainly can hold my own in the V-dubs but I don't enjoy it. With the Enduro coming up, however, I need to log some time in the stuff that makes me groan. So I set my mind to conquering my least-favorite terrain. Got a few hoots from the chair so I guess I was doing okay. Good times.

Monarch was actually pretty sweet as well. It doesn't get a ton of traffic so I seem to always be able to find untracked when I go there. Again, I was hiking for the good stuff and trying to get in some more training to whip my sorry ass into shape. I am actually feeling pretty strong but the Enduro is going to be a bear so I need to keep cracking. I was anxious to get home so only stayed a couple of hours but did get in some sweet pow turns WAY up in the atmosphere (summit 11,962 feet).

I was planning to get in another day tomorrow (Monday) but got booked into meetings. Tuesday as well. I may try to sneak in a pre-dawn ascent but will have to see how things go. Wednesday is a go for me for sure and I'll probably try to go on Thursday and Friday as well. Today was day 50 for me, which ties last year's tally... but we have 3 months to go in the season so 75+ is a definite possibility for me this year.

I have been thinking a lot about the Leadville 100 and am still targeting '09 for a do-over on that bad boy. I really miss running and it is tough to figure out how to start putting in the miles with so much snowpack this season. I am interested in doing the Leadville 50 in July so will have to get started logging the hours here soon. Last year was easier in many ways as I was working in Boulder so lunchtime and post-work runs were a cinch. Right now, I am just going to keep focused on the Enduro and try to start doing some power workouts (probably intervals on steep hills) then get back to my standard 3-4 hour runs and throw in some speed work here and there to try to improve my form.

Shake your money maker.

~stubert.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails